In Archer Danger Phone, players can join events. These special events are often based on plots seen in episodes of the show, or entire seasons. In this case, this is for our "Vice" event.
For these scenes, concepts from the show or made by coworkers were given, and then translated into 3D.
In order to create the scene, I did the following:
- Develop the mesh based on show references and concepts. Meshes are required to stay under 10k tri's when possible to ensure older phones can run the game. This scene was made by decimating a high poly used for concept creation.
- Remove back faces and start the creation of UV shells.
- UV shells, excluding glass must all be on one UV set. This set cannot be larger than 1024 x 1024, and all shells that can be stacked should be to ensure maximum use of the UV space. The ground of this scene is on its own 256 x 256 shell. this is a stacked uv shell where the pattern flows to match the show and concept.
- Texturing is done with a mixture of substance painter and photoshop. All detail is painted onto the diffuse, as the actual unity material only utilizes the diffuse and a lightmap created using proprietary baking resources.
- Assets are brought into Unity, textures are applied, and a baking tool is used to create a lightmap. The lightmap uses a second UV set with no stacking. Any issues are painted over in photoshop and reimported to unity. The lightmap of this scene required extra attention so to add a warm and cool light divide.
- Lighting materials and glass shaders are added to mesh in unity where needed. This scene utilizes two different light setups in the sconces and bar lights. Multiple materials are used to develop the various alcohol bottle colors due to limitations.
- Camera and related scripts are set up and then used to create images that are sent to Disney and Floyd County for approval.